In this digital age, a business’ website is the face it presents to the world. It is the prospective customer’s first impression and a major criteria for whether they engage with your company at all. Content and image are important, but most people don’t have the technical expertise to ensure that their website performance is up to snuff when it comes to response time and searchability.
According to an article by the Nielsen Norman Group, speed matters. A lot. And it is largely due to humankind’s decreasing attention span.
The numbers are very telling:
- 2 seconds is the expected site load time
- After 3 seconds, 40% of visitors will abandon your site
- 10 seconds is the average attention span
- A 100-300 millisecond delay is perceptible (instantaneous is 100 milliseconds)
Those are very exacting standards to be sure. But well worth the effort for any small business that expects to entice new customers from web traffic.
Before you can begin to optimize your website speed, you have to measure its current performance. Here are 5 free web-based tools you can use:
- Selenium – the most widely used open-source tool that automates web browser testing. It provides a single interface that lets you write test scripts in programming languages.
- Google PageSpeed Tools – a service that provides tools and information to help you build high performance web sites. Includes useful protocols & standards, and Google’s latest performance best practices.
- Sitespeed.io – a set of user-friendly Open Source tools that makes it easy to monitor and measure the performance of your website.
- WebPageTest – allows you to run website speed tests from multiple locations around the globe using real browsers (IE and Chrome) and at real consumer connection speeds. Run simple tests or perform advanced testing including multi-step transactions, video capture, content blocking, and much more.
- GTmetrix – allows you to see how your site performs, reveals why it’s slow and discovers optimization opportunities.
Like many small businesses during this pandemic, you might be relying more heavily on the internet for sales and customer traffic. Technology Solutions can help with everything from building your website to optimizing an existing one. Call us for a consultation today to make sure that your website works as hard as you do.
Technology Solutions of Michigan offers simple and cost-effective marketing services to help you enhance your website performance and evaluate the functionality of your outreach process. Inquire today to learn more!